Pages

Tuesday 3 July 2012

Blog of the atrocious cook

One thing I am thankful for every day of my life is the fact that my mum is a fabulous cook. I, despite being very similar to my mum, am the world’s worst cook. Living at home whilst at uni could have literally saved my life; I would have lost about 7 stone, could have died of food poisoning or overindulged on take-away and fast food.

I have taken to cooking cakes, biscuits, etc. on Friday’s (the one day I would have off in the week from uni and placement). I also thought it would take my mind off of having holiday blues. I have just gotten back from a wonderful holiday in Corfu, where the weather was not cold and raining L (I hate English weather, unless it is sunny and warm). Today I decided to master making a Victoria Sponge Cake (my favourite!!) I brought a ‘simple’ cake mix from Morrison’s for my first attempt…


 I followed all the steps correctly, in an attempt to make my cake really look like the one on the front of the box. However, I set the oven too high (not realising that it actually mattered what the temperature was, and just thought that setting the oven at 200 rather than 180 would make it cook faster) meaning that I burnt my cake. Despite the burnt cake I soldiered on to make butter icing that tasted more like butter than icing and jam that wouldn't spread properly as the inside of the cake was too bumpy and disfigured. So instead of looking like the perfect Victoria Sponge, mine looked like this…


Despite eating my homemade Victoria Sponge cake with a cup of earl grey and being thankful that I didn’t burn the kitchen down , next time I think I’ll stick to buying my Victoria sponges already made…

No comments:

Post a Comment